Oliver is not like other cats. He likes cookies and tea and just wants a friend to share them with. Philbert is the shy mouse who lives under Oliver’s couch. He tries to get Oliver’s attention by writing him notes, but Oliver doesn’t notice little Philbert. When a full-on cat party erupts at Oliver’s apartment, brave Philbert decides this is his big chance to finally introduce himself to Oliver.
- This is a story about how Oliver the cat and Philbert the mouse become friends.
- As you read the story think about the different ways Oliver and Philbert try to make friends.
- Notice why they don’t meet at first.
- When they finally do meet why does it work out?
- What do the two characters do differently that allows them to meet?
WATCH and LISTEN to Tea With Oliver read by author Mika Song for KidLitTV:
ACTION SONG: I’m a Little Teapot
(words & music: George Harry Sanders and Clarence Kelley, copyright 1941 Kelman Music Corporation)
I’m a little teapot
Short and stout
Here is my handle (one hand on hip)
Here is my spout (other arm out straight)
When I get all steamed up
Hear me shout
“Tip me over and pour me out!” (lean over toward spout)
I’m a clever teapot,
Yes, it’s true
Here let me show you
What I can do
I can change my handle
And my spout (switch arm positions)
Just tip me over and pour me out! (lean over toward spout)
You can add some ballet and tap moves with Dance ‘n Beats Lab.
CRAFT. You can use a paper plate to make a cat! Click here for instructions.