Interlibrary Loan (ILL) guidelines
As part of a vast network of libraries in the nation offering patrons access to materials not available in their home libraries, Bethlehem Public Library voluntarily adopts the American Library Association Interlibrary Loan Code. In keeping with the spirit of this code, Bethlehem Public Library’s guidelines are as follows:
- Interlibrary loan services are available to Bethlehem card holders in good standing, and to patrons whose home libraries do not offer out-of-system services. All other patrons requesting interlibrary loans will be referred to their home libraries.
- Students and faculty of regional higher-education institutions are asked to initiate their academic requests through their institutions.
- Interlibrary loan practices are reciprocal. Bethlehem Public Library does not lend popular materials, AV materials, magazines, and items valued at less than $16, and does not request these items from other libraries.
- Interlibrary loan periods are generally short-term. Renewals are governed by the lending library. Patrons must allow three months between requests for the same materials.
- Requested materials, including articles from e-journals, must be more than 6 months old.
- Journal articles must be less than 100 pages long; anything longer than 33 pages may incur fees.
- Patrons must supply complete bibliographic information; sources for this information are:
- Professional citations from books or journals
- magazine and newspaper articles
- To proceed with a request, patrons must agree to pay any fee imposed by the lending library.
- As is the case with all circulation transactions, patron confidentiality is assured.
- Copyright laws and the lending library’s policies and procedures take precedence over these guidelines.
- Overdue ILL items are subject to a library fine of $1.00 per day. Borrowers are responsible for full cost to replace or repair lost or damaged items.
- Check the UHLS web catalog @ http://vufind.uhls.org/vufind/ before submitting a book request. Library partons may submit a request through the online catalog for UHLS items. You will need your library barcode number and PIN to make a request.
- Check our database for periodical articles in full-text @ http://www.bethlehempubliclibrary.org/research.asp before submitting an article request. You will need your library barcode number to log-in.
By requesting a book, an article or microfilm, I agree to abide by these guidelines.
Request a book
Request an article
Request a renewal