The library is closely monitoring the Novel Coronavirus Disease 2019 situation. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are known to cause illnesses ranging from the common cold to more severe respiratory illnesses. COVID-19 can spread person-to-person via respiratory droplets when an infected person coughs or sneezes.
In the interest of public health, the library will remain closed until further notice. We are currently looking at ways to provide limited services during this time. Please check back for details.
In order to better serve our patrons during this closure, we have implemented the following changes: (Updated 3/15)
- Because we do not want our patrons to be impacted by fines and to eliminate any confusion, we are extending all due dates on all materials checked out until April 1 with the possibility of a further extension if needed.
- To make it easier to access our digital materials and services, those who sign up for a library card online will have an extended grace period to use the temporary login.
- Library cards will not expire at this time, so there is no need to worry about when or how to renew while the library is closed.
A message from Library Director Geoffrey Kirkpatrick (3/13):
As of 5 p.m. Friday (3/13), Bethlehem Public Library is closed at least until the end of March. This was a difficult but necessary decision to safeguard public health, and we will continue to reevaluate the situation and decide when it is appropriate to reopen the library.
We would like to reassure you that in the meantime, fines will not accrue while we are closed. Items will not be due until we reopen.
Library staff will continue to work for you. We are planning to answer questions by email and Facebook.
We are evaluating what services we can provide in the meantime.
Be safe and take care of each other.
In response to the widening Novel Coronavirus situation, we are canceling all programs and meetings at the library until further notice. (Updated 3/12)
Interlibrary loan (ILL) book and microfilm requests are not available at this time. This is only for items borrowed through ILL outside of UHLS. Standard hold requests from other libraries within UHLS service area will be filled. (Updated 3/12)
Please note that in the interest of your health and safety, we have proactively cleaned and removed the toys in the Children’s Place until further notice. (Updated 3/10)
The library’s Sensory Playtime and Family Playtime have been canceled for the time being. (Updated 3/10)
In order to mitigate exposure to the virus, the library is encouraging patrons to:
- Avoid public gathering spaces, such as the library, if you feel unwell.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Hand sanitizer and wipes will be available at the Information Desk and other locations throughout the library.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your nose and mouth when sneezing, sneeze into a tissue and throw the tissue into the trash or sneeze into your sleeve (elbow) if a tissue is not available.
- New York State Coronavirus Hotline: (888) 364-3065
- World Health Organization: COVID-19
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: COVID-19
- New York State Department of Health: Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)